Cinderella: A Fairly True Story, the latest theatrical production to be staged at Resorts World Theatre is opening this Thursday on 10 December!
You think you know the story of Cinderella: Poor orphaned girl is bullied by her stepfamily, she goes to a ball with the help of a fairy godmother, she leaves a glass slipper, the prince uses the slipper to reunite with her, the prince and Cinderella lives happily ever after.
The upcoming show shares the backbone of the familiar story with a few twists that will surprise you. We pick the twelve unusual things about the show for you to look out for:
- The characters in Cinderella: A Fairly True Story have real names. Cinderella is Louise, her father is Leopold while the evil stepmother and her two daughters are Furiosa, Grimella and Distressa.You might miss out the prince’s name since it’s super long: Prince Harry George William Archibald Nicolas Philip Alexander Charles James Andrew Daniel the First.
- In this story, Cinderella’s father remarried because he thought that his new wife (a widow) is rich. The stepmother also thought the same of her new husband.
- Although Cinderella’s mother died, we do see her return as Cinderella’s fairy
- Cinderella’s father is killed halfway through the story in a robbery gone wrong.
- Instead of the charming prince, the prince starts out being overprotected. He experiences a character growth after meeting Cinderella. (Check out our interview with the actors who play Cinderella and the Prince to find out what they think about their roles.)
- Instead of mice that turns into horses, this Cinderella’s carriage to the ball is drawn by pigeons.
- In a song, it is revealed that “glass slippers” in versions of the Cinderella story are actually fur slippers. A mistranslation led to the familiar glass slippers that we know of today.
- The Cinderella in the show is sensible. When the clock strikes twelve, she takes off her slippers before she runs off. It is hard to run in glass slippers after all. She accidentally drops one of the slippers then.
- In this version of the story, the prince searches for the owner of the missing slipper using the newspaper. Girls can measure if they fit the slipper by placing their foot on the dotted line on the paper before the prince visits their house. Cinderella’s stepfamily found out she’s the owner of the slipper this way.
- This Cinderella isn’t meek. When the prince shows up at the door with the glass slipper, the stepmother and stepsisters tries to tie and lock up Cinderella. But she kicks up a fuss and is eventually freed.
- The evil stepmother and stepsisters meet a horrible fate at the end. We won’t reveal how here but it’s a lesson that we should treat people nicely.
- There is a special character, the reporter, in this show. He doesn’t do a lot of investigative journalism but does have a role breaking the fourth wall to tell the audience what the “real” Cinderella story is.
Now that you know of these twists, catch them at the show Cinderella, A Fairly True Story, which will be staged at Resorts World Theatre from 10 December 2015 to 4 January 2016.
Cinderella, A Fairly True Story tickets
|Date:||10 Dec 2015 – 4 Jan 2016|
|Show Times:||Thu: 7pm
Fri – Mon: 2pm and 7pm (no show on Tue and Wed)
|Venue:||Resorts World™ Theatre, Resorts World Sentosa|
1Child must be accompanied by at least one (1) adult.
Get your tickets at SISTIC or Resorts World Theatre.
Cinderella Giveaway Lucky Draw Contest
Stand a chance to win Cinderella’s jewellery by Swarovski worth over S$1,000 with every ticket purchased. Term and conditions apply, please view the full terms and conditions.
Promotions for Cinderella, A Fairly True Story
(Discounts are only applicable to Adult – Standard tickets and are not applicable to Child and Senior Tickets.)
Cinderella Family Package
Family Package A @ S$309 (U.P. S$373)
Family Package B @ S$258 (U.P. S$292)
1Child ticket is valid for children aged 4 to 12 years old only. No upgrade of child tickets to adult tickets allowed.
Universal Studios Singapore Santa’s All-Star Christmas
Universal Studios Singapore after 5pm Admission with Cinderella Cat 3 Ticket (Fri – Mon, 2pm only) at S$84. Terms & conditions apply.
RWS Invites Membership Special Promotion
Receive Two Cat 2 tickets and a Programme Booklet (Worth S$234) when you sign up RWS Invites Membership at S$150.
RWS Invites Members2
2RWS Invites card must be presented upon purchase. Members are not entitled to earn Invites Dollars for purchases made at SISTIC counters, except at Resorts World Theatre.
RWS Invites Attractions Members and Season Pass Holders3
▸ 15% discount for all categories
3RWS Invites Attractions card and Season Pass must be presented upon purchase.
▸ Enjoy 20% off all categories with MasterCard®
NTUC Card Members
▸ Enjoy 25% off all categories with NTUC Card
▸ 20% discount for all categories
4Student pass must be presented upon purchase and at theatre entrance for verification.
Create your RWSMemories video
Create a personalised video of your memories at Resorts World Sentosa with the #RWSMemories Facebook app.