Move over Hello Kitty and Minions, the mooncakes are set to take over the hearts and the stomachs of many Singaporeans.
And with the Mid-Autumn Festival just round the corner, RWScoop rounds up Feng Shui Inn’s Chinese Head Chef Li Kwok Kwong and Assistant Chef Tan for a crash course on making mooncakes from scratch.
Recipe for Flaky Pastry with Organic Golden Sweet Potatoes (Serves 10)
500g Sweet Potatoes
1200g Narcissus Flour
250g High Gluten Flour
500g Dough fat
Making the sweet potato paste
- Peel, cut and wash the sweet potatoes.
- Steam them for 15 minutes until they turn soft.
- In a blender, blend the sweet potatoes until evenlymashed.
- Add 10ml of cooking oil and 100g of sugar into a cooking pan.
- Simmer and cook the mashed potatoes until thick and leave it to cool. While it is cooling, proceed to the next step.
Making the flaky crust and the filling
- In a mixing bowl, add 1200g narcissus flour, 250g high-gluten flour, 400ml water, 500g dough fat and knead into dough. When consistency is thick, add dough fat.
- Flatten the dough and cut into 2 equal sheets before stacking them up into 2 layers.
- Repeat the step above and stack into a total of 4 layers.
- Repeat the step above and stack into a total of 6 layers. This is for the texture of the skin. (total of three steps)
- Freeze the layered dough in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the layered dough from the freezer.
- Chop off the ends of the layered dough and cut into slices. Make sure your knife is slanted at 45° anglewhile slicing.
- Roll the potato paste into a ball (about 40g) and, flatten the dough sheets into 4cm by 4cm sizes with a roller pin.
- Wrap the potato paste into the 4cm by 4cm flattened dough sheet by folding the dough sheet into half.
- Place the excess dough in between your thumb and the index finger while pushing and folding it at the same time. Focus on folding in the sides of the dough sheets till it’s fully sealed and pinch off the excess dough to achieve a full round ball.
- Continue Step 9 with the other 9 dough sheets and potato balls.
Baking of mooncakes
Bake the mooncakes in an oven for 20 minutes at 180°C.
Alternatively, you can choose to deep fry the mooncakes.
Deep frying of mooncakes
- Warm up the wok filled with cooking oil for a few minutes
- Arrange the mooncakes nicely in a skimmer
- Deep fry it for 1 ½ mins till it turns light golden brown
You can also view the baking tutorial video here for a clearer picture.
In less than two hours, you will be able to tuck into these delicious homemade flaky crust mooncakes. On the other hand, if you’re feeling lazy, get them from Feng Shui Inn. $88 for a box of 8 mooncakes, containing flavours such as Hawaiian Golden Pineapple paste with premium grade AA Imperial Bird’s Nest, Premium Grade AA Imperial Bird’s Nest, Flaky pastry with Organic Japanese Golden Sweet Potatoes and Flaky pastry with Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes.
All mooncakes are available at Feng Shui Inn (Crockfords Tower, level G2) from 16 August to 19 September 2013.
To order, please call 6577 6688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/Specials/MidAutumn for more information.
|RWS Mooncakes Selections||Retail price per box (NETT)|
|Low Sugar Lotus Paste (Box of 4)||
|Lotus Paste with Single Yolk (Box of 4)||
|Lotus Paste with Double Yolk (Box of 4)||
|Assorted Nuts ‘Ng Yan’ (Box of 4)||
|White Butter Skin with Pandan Sweet Corn Paste (Box of 4)||
|White Lotus Paste with Coconut Macadamia Golden Jingsa (Box of 4)||
|RWS Baked Treasure Mooncakes (One piece per flavour)Inclusive of Low Sugar Lotus Paste, Lotus Paste with Double Yolk, White Butter skin with Pandan Sweet Corn Paste, Assorted Nuts ‘Ng Yan’||
|Feng Shui Inn’s Premium Box (Box of 8, 2 flavours each)Inclusive of Hawaiian Golden Pineapple paste with premium grade AA Imperial Bird’s Nest, Premium Grade AA Imperial Bird’s Nest, Flaky pastry with Organic Japanese Golden Sweet Potatoes and Flaky pastry with Japanese Purple Sweet Potatoes||