Grammy Award-winning saxophonist Kenny G is said to be the biggest-selling instrumental musician of our time, with more than 75 million records in global sale.
But more than great music, the musician whose real name is Kenny Bruce Gorelick, had shown brilliance in some other fields. If his life had turned out differently, music today may perhaps miss some of its most memorable tunes.
- He might have been an accountant. Even when Kenny G was playing saxophone professionally, he continued studying. He majored in accounting at the University of Washington in Seattle and graduated magna cum laude which is the second highest distinction.
- He might have been a golfer. He picked up golf when he was 10, the same age he started playing the saxophone. When he entered high school, he made it into the golf team and not the jazz band. In 2006, he was named by Golf Digest as the music industry’s No. 1 golfer.
- He might have been a business entrepreneur. Kenny G claimed to have helped inspired Starbucks’s Frappuccinos. He was an early investor in Starbucks when the coffee joint was only selling coffee. Kenny G told Starbucks founder Howard Schultz about its rival Coffee Bean’s “blended” drink, which eventually led to the creation of the signature Frappucinos. Starbucks stated that “[Kenny] did provide feedback on the creation of the beverage. We are very appreciative of everyone, including Kenny, who’ve been a part of the success of Frappuccino”.
Thankfully, he remained faithful to his saxophone, even earned the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone in 1997. He held an E-flat for 45 minutes and 47 seconds.
The musician, who was instrumental in popularising the saxophone to the world, will soon be playing in Singapore this October. Here’s your chance to listen to some of his best hits, live at Resorts World Theatre, Resorts World Sentosa.
Catch Kenny G Live in Singapore in October
|Date:||14 October 2015|
|Venue:||Resorts World Theatre|
|Prices*:||S$238(VIP), S$198, S$168, S$138, S$88
Get your tickets at SISTIC or Resorts World Theatre
*Prices exclude SISTIC booking fee and handling charges. Terms and Conditions apply.
Venue & Admission Rules:
- No admission for infants in arms and children below 6 years old.
- Children 6 years and above must purchase a ticket for entry
- For admission, please produce tickets at entrance.
- No Photography, Video recording and Audio recording is permitted for this event.