Sweet, bitter or something in-between? We’ve sorted out seven of the most popular durian cultivars in Singapore according to taste.
= bitter = sweet
Mao Shan Wang (or Musang King)
- Tastes bitter at the start, ends with a lingering sweetness
- Smooth and creamy with little or no fibres
- Genuine Mao Shan Wang durians have a star shape pattern at the bottom of the husk
Hor Lor (or Hu Lu)
- Bitter with some sweet notes
- Sticky and pasty
- Named after its shape resembling a bottle gourd (Hu Lu).
D24 (or Sultan Durian)
- Sweet and nutty with a slightly bitter after-taste
- Very creamy and smooth
- Used to be such a rarity that only the Sultans in Malaysia got to eat them, hence the name
Jin Feng (or Golden Phoenix)
- Generally sweet with a slight bitterness. If you prefer it more bitter, choose those with a brown husk.
- Fleshy with a runny texture
- Named after the couple who registered it: the man was called Jin (Golden) and the lady Feng (Phoenix).
Zhu Jiao (or Green Bamboo)
- Predominantly sweet with a hint of bitterness and a mustard tang
- Buttery and fibrous
- Has a yellowish hollow core which can be seen when the fruit is open.
- Milder tasting sweet durian
- Less fibrous than most durians
- Good “entry level” durian for beginners due to its milder taste and large seeds.
Ang Heh (or Red Prawn)
- Predominantly sweet, occasionally bittersweet
- Creamy and smooth
- Named after their orangey flesh and curved arils which resemble the prawn.
Hungry for durians? Join us for an all-you-can-eat durian buffet consisting of premium durians like Mao Shan Wang, Red Prawn, Jin Feng, and other tropical fruits such as mangosteens, rambutans and more.
Dates: 18 ,
19, 20, 21 Aug (Tickets selling out fast!)
Time: 6pm – 7.30pm or 8pm – 9.30pm
Venue: The Coliseum, Hard Rock Hotel Singapore
2 Durian Fest Adult Tickets + Free RWS Invites Silver Membership (Worth S$196)
|RWS Invites Membership RENEWAL EXCLUSIVE:
2 Durian Fest Adult Tickets + Free Renewal of RWS Invites Silver Privileges (Worth S$196)
|RWS Invites Member (Membership number required for booking.)|
For reservations or enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to find out more about RWS Invites Membership