Esben Holmboe Bang is the head chef, co-owner and creative genius behind Maaemo, the ground-breaking three-star Michelin restaurant from Oslo.
From 16 – 25 September, Chef Esben will helm Art at Curate Series Three where he will be recreating his bold and progressive brand of Norwegian cuisine.
Before he arrives, here are 8 things about him to help you get acquainted with this award-winning chef.
1. He’s Danish, not Norwegian
Though his restaurant Maaemo is located in Oslo, Norway, and serves Norwegian cuisine, Chef Esben was born in Copenhagen, Denmark. He first arrived in Oslo some 11 years ago with his Norwegian wife.
2. He received his first Michelin stars 15 months after opening Maaemo
In 2012, Maaemo was awarded not one but two Michelin stars, and became the first and only restaurant in the Nordics to be listed in the Michelin Guide. Chef Esben was only 30 years old then.
3. Maaemo was awarded three Michelin stars this year
With that, Chef Esben became the youngest chef and the first in Norway to front a restaurant bearing Michelin’s highest accolade.
4. He was one of Time Magazine’s “100 Most Influential Chefs in the World” in 2013
He was also named “2016 Young Chef of the Year” by Elite Traveler Magazine.
5. His love for food and cooking was ignited by ‘meat bones’
When he was a child, his father once made ‘meat bones’ (kjøttbein) where he roasted a whole bone with meat in the oven, set it on the table and everyone ate with their hands. That was when he felt a strong connection with food.
6. He uses only organic, biodynamic or wild produce
Growing up in a family that emphasizes on sustainability and agriculture, Chef Esben believes that natural produce should not be tainted with chemicals or they will lose their natural flavours. As he puts it, “If you have carrots, and you spray them with herbicides or growth enhancers, they will no longer be carrots.”
7. He enjoys cycling, music and art
While cooking is his passion and Maaemo takes up almost all of his waking hours, he still finds time for cycling, music, art and relaxing with his family.
8. He will be visiting and cooking in Singapore for the first time at Art at Curate
Chef Esben will be showcasing some of his signature dishes at Art at Curate Series Three such as these:
Art at Curate Series Three (16 – 25 September)
- Four-Course Lunch Menu with Wine Pairing – $250++*
- Eight-Course Dinner Menu with Wine Pairing – $450++*
* Early bird price ends 31 Aug 2016. From 1 Sep, Four-Course Lunch Menu with Wine Pairing will be priced at $280++ and Eight-Course Dinner Menu with Wine Pairing at $480++.
To make your reservation, call +65 6577 7288 or email to Curate@RWSentosa.com