Find Us on Facebook
- ▼2013 (44)
- ▶2012 (126)
- ▶2011 (94)
- ▶2010 (68)
- ▶2009 (35)
A fan of Chinese Indie tunes? Well, we’ve great news for you.
The FIRST EVER Mandarin Singer-Songwriter “Indie” Festival comes to town this 30 Aug! Held at the Coliseum, Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, Under The Stars unites the most popular Mandarin award-winning singer-songwriters in Asia – Crowd Lu, Lala Hsu, Peggy Hsu, Denise Ho, Ellen Loo & Katncandix2 – for a night of brilliant music under, yes you’ve guessed it, the beautiful night sky.
Here’s a brief look at the lineup of stars (hint: read to win!) -
CROWD LU 盧廣仲 A Crowd Pleaser
Hailed as the most prolific male Taiwanese Indie singer-songwriter and composer to emerge over the last decade, Crowd Lu has bagged numerous chart toppers all over the region. His star shone especially brightly at the Taiwan Golden Melody Awards – an equivalent of America’s Grammy Awards – where he won over a dozen music awards including the coveted “Best New Act” and “Best Composer”.
Lala Hsu 徐佳瑩 The Hottie
Lala first came into spotlight when she was crowned the deserving winner of Taiwan’s Top Rated Reality Program “A Million Stars” Competition Season 3. Watched by millions over the world, her individual spins on popular songs kept millions spellbound. Her spontaneous ‘live’ performances have enthralled fans of all ages.
Besides being the Top 10 Most-Searched Person on Taiwan’s Google Chart, she continues to pick up music awards from Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia & Singapore and is currently the hottest new female artiste from Taiwan in the past 3 years.
Peggy Hsu 许哲佩 The All-Rounder
Skilled in Melody & Lyrics Composing, Music Arrangement, Producing, Directing and many more, the multi-talented Peggy actually composed her first song at the tender age of 8.
When she was 19, Peggy Hsu uploaded the demo of her own composition named “Balloon” to a Digital Music website. That track had the highest number of hits and earned her a contract with an independent music company. Subsequently, the album with the same title created a storm in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore; selling Platinum in each territory.
Thanks to her inimitable signature music style, 4 of her critically acclaimed albums have already won her many awards all over Asia.
Denise Ho 何韻詩 Anita’s Apprentice
The Hong Kong songwriting superstar’s career was launched in 1996 after she won a Talent Quest in Hong Kong. To date, Denise remains the only female artiste in history to be the apprentice of her childhood idol: the late Asian superstar Anita Mui.
Often noted for her tremendous “live” performance energy, her artistry was also witnessed in the musical “Butterfly Lovers” which gave her 3 Number One singles.
A staunch advocate of social commentary, Denise’s music reaches far and wide. In 2011, she conquered the Taiwan market with her widely-acclaimed Mandarin Album; and was deservedly nominated for Best Female Vocalist at the Annual Golden Melody Awards.
Ellen Joyce Lee 盧凱彤 The “Most-Watched”
A “Most-Watched” name in Hong Kong, Ellen Loo is a remarkable talent. Besides innovative compositions, she was the chosen guitarist for many famous names in the HK industry, such as Sammi Cheng and Joey Yung.
Ellen Loo started off with a famous Girl Duo named “at17”, winning millions of fans in Asia with their quirky and unpretentious style. Their private showcases around Asia (including Singapore) are often sold-out within hours.
Ellen Loo released her solo single in 2010 to much acclaim,and is currently the hottest new act in the region. Her first album went Top 10, and the singles have made big splashes in the region.
Katncandix2 棉花糖 a.k.a. Cotton Candy
Katncandix2 (sometimes popularly known as “Cotton Candy”), is a two-member band which started as a Street Musician duo in 2007.
Anything but fluff (as their name ironically suggests) –their music and lyrics are thought-provoking and warm –a winning combination that propelled them into stardom with their first album .
Nominated at the prestigious Taiwan Golden Melody Awards Ceremony twice for “Best Group”, the singer-composer band is an exciting fresh sound to the industry who have been invited for numerous showcases and festivals in HK, Taiwan, China and Singapore.
Terms & Conditions
2. The contest will run from 24 till 26 August 2011. Entries after 4pm on 26 August will not be taken into consideration.
3. To participate in the contest, participants are required to provide the correct answer to all 6 questions as a facebook comment below. All other forms of entries are not accepted.
4. RWS will select FIVE winners, who will win a pair of tickets to Under The Stars. The winner will be announced on RWScoop within a week of the contest closing.
5. By participating in the contest, a participant is deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions and any other instructions, terms and conditions that RWS may issue from time to time. The participant further accepts and agrees to the terms and conditions governing the use of the complimentary tickets to Under The Stars.
6. RWS shall not be liable to participants for any injuries, losses or damages in respect of, in connection with and/or arising from the contest.
7. RWS reserves the right to publish the participants’ entry, images and details for any purpose whatsoever without having to pay any fee or compensation to the participants.
8. RWS reserves the right to withdraw or cancel the contest, substitute or replace the prizes, and/or amend these terms and conditions at any time for whatever reason and without giving prior notice to the participants. The decision of the RWS on all matters relating to or in connection with the contest is final, and no correspondence will be entertained.
9. In the event of discrepancy between the English version and the other versions of these terms and conditions, the English version shall prevail.
10. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with Singapore law. The Courts of Singapore shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes arising from these terms and conditions, including the validity and enforceability thereof.